Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hello World

In writing this post I feel like it is the first day of school again. (Or maybe it is just January.) But do you remember that feeling? Nervous, excited, full of wonder. Who will I meet, will they like me, will I like them, what will we do, what will I learn, and of course superficially, am I wearing the right clothes? The online blogging/Internet world of creative, artsy, handmade souls reminds me of a revelation I had when I was about 12. I was sitting around my great aunts table, eating, cooking, talking, and I looked around and realized everyone in the kitchen was female. There were cousins, aunts, sister and grandma. What empowerment! And how comfortable. I realized the other day that the world I have created for myself online is the same. (And for that matter, going about my daily duties as a mother it is rare that I interact with many men or dads-no offense, I do love the boys!) I unconsciously seek women who create, who share great ideas, who cook great meals, who have an good parenting or organizational tip. Online it is what is so-and-so designing now, how does she get her kids to eat more greens, what is she singing or listening to, what book is she writing or reading. It is all for inspiration, one way to feed my dreamlife. Looking for positive, successful stories of women who are living creative lives by design. It is empowering. So it is with this in mind that I have set some goals for myself. One is to share my creations with this community I have gained so much from. If I can help someone make a good soup, make a cute skirt cheaper or a spark an idea for a quilt they can make with their child, the cycle of creation will be more fulfilling. So here goes.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Whitney!!! I'm so proud of you! This looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete