Wednesday, May 25, 2011

DWYL Retreat in England


The Do What you Love Retreat http://dowhatyouloveforlife.com/ I attended in England was fantastic. It was the first one ever and somehow Beth Nicholls was able to assemble an amazing collection of generous and talented souls, including Rachel Taylor, Hannah Nunn, Flora Bowley, Matt Stinchcomb, Priscilla Jones, and Rachel Hazell. I met some inspiring fellow participants following their dreams like Louise Gale, Juliette Crane, and my flatmates Eileen http://www.westofwhimsey.com/) and beautiful Sara, just to name few. Even though I made a weird wax and fabric sculpture of a building, I learned a new technique and had time to reflect on what was important to me about art and why I create. The sense of community and sharing of ideas and support can be rare in the art world so this retreat was really uplifting. Another DWYL retreat is happening again next year and I highly recommend it. I have thought about starting a retreat in the Southeast, but after I saw all the logistics involved I think I 'll leave it to superheroes like Beth.

England is beautiful, the people I met were polite and helpful, (I wandered around lost in London for a few days so I relied on quite a bit of help), and the architecture and countryside is stunning. It was a much needed respite, then it was home to reality: chauffeur, chef, mistress of laundry, chief negotiator, you get it. Now I am faced with the enormous challenge of how to incorporate the business ideas I have decided on (FINALLY) into my life and family. But look what I came home to...
Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing adventure, Whitney! I can't wait to see what comes next! xoxo

    ReplyDelete